Now, I am probably going to get into trouble for this post, but I feel I need to get it off my chest.
This morning on my daily commute to the station, I am running a little bit late, and a cyclist zooms out in front of me. We are on a little residential back street, and he is about 50m in front of me as he zooms into the street I have to turn onto. Not a problem - I was nowhere near hitting him, nor him me. However my gripe comes from the fact that despite there being a cyclist/pedestrian walkway not 3 metres to the right of him, he insists on riding on the road. The walkway is free from pedestrians, and there are less potholes, and yet he slows my drive up by being on the road. I can't afford to be late as I am already on a deadline to catch a train, but he just seems oblivious.
I ordinarily have no problem with cyclists, especially as I know that they take their life in their own hands by riding simultaneously on the road with cars, however when there is a very good cycleway very close to you, not being used by anyone else, you shouldn't be endangering yourself and others by riding on the road.
Thoughts? Comments?
So rather than "endangering others" on the road, you want him to "endanger others" on the pathway?
ReplyDeletePedestrians are random. They walk, stop, turn, sidestep, all with no warning, notification or reason. As such, cyclists with experience try to avoid any area with pedestrians.
If you actually think about it, then you will realise that people in cars do the same stupid actions, you just can't separate the identity; you are also a car-user, there is no 'us and them' mentality.
People are stupid, they do stupid things, especially in control of a vehicle. And especially when observed from others. Even you.
Thank you for your response. I appreciate the feedback.
ReplyDeleteI understand that people are random, and I know that I am as well. I also understand why go on a road instead of a pathway. But when said pathway is empty (and I checked this out before getting grumpy), it makes more sense to use it, than be on a road.
Every day I identify that yes, I am just one more person, be it in a car or on foot (I do both every day), and it is a conscious thought, not a oh those car users, or an oh those pedestrians.
I welcome any and all comments. I am not trying to piss people off, just note how life is around me.
"But when said pathway is empty (and I checked this out before getting grumpy), it makes more sense to use it, than be on a road."
ReplyDeleteA pathway (or road, or footpath, or track) is only empty for the time it is empty. With a road, it is usually checked before someone will step onto it, but bike-paths, footpaths etc are areas that people step blindly onto.
That is the main reason why I rarely use them; I've put one pedestrian in hospital after they stepped in front of me (knocked out, fit, hospital stay), I don't want to do that to another.
The other reason - bike paths aren't designed in the same way as roads. They start, stop, turn, and generally are thought of as secondary transport routes. The road will only stop at intersections, and will rarely end in a dead-end. Bike paths are the reverse, they are rarely unimpeded.
My suggestion to anyone in these 'bike vs car' arguments is, go get a bike and use it for transport/commuting. Experience the joys of being a second-class citizen on the road, or having restricted (in the eyes of road users and pedestrians) rights, and be the target for the odd rage-fueled car/truck/bus-driver.
It is the only way you will really understand. Reality is very different to theory.