Brilliant night out last night. Went to see a comedy show at the Comics Lounge in North Melbourne with Dad (he is down until tomorrow), the Boy and a friend. I had cheap tickets that have to be used and I thought what better way than to go see Cal Wilson and friends.
The night started with pizza (for me) at a cafe/pub type place up the road from the venue. Not bad food, and the Boy was more than happy with his gnocchi. For an Aussie through and through, he loves his different ethnic styled foods. We got dessert to go, and wandered down Errol St snarfing our food. The Boy's was covered in powdered sugar and he mentioned people might think he had been rolling in flour or some other innocuous substance *shifty eyes* if he wasnt careful!
Thankfully he managed to get it down (it was a massive snot block, aka vanilla slice) and we met Dad at the venue. Our friend was running late, so we went in to get seated. Friend rocked up a little late, but still managed to just get in before the show started.
Cal Wilson was the MC for the nights entertainment, and I have to say, I <3 Cal Wilson, I think her self deprecating style of humour is very well done, and she doesn't seem to take it all too seriously. I have seen her live once before, and I would see her again in another show. The other comedians were pretty good, except for the guy who thought he was being deadpan, instead he was just dead. One guy sitting behind me yelled out, "get off the stage". I seriously considered leaving. He was at the point of being vulgar, very monotone, it was really hard to listen to, and just not funny, and the rest of the audience thought so as well. Thankfully he was the only real down fall of the night.
I usually find the comedians that fall flat to either be really new, or very nervous, or both. I have been to an opening show of a guy who had never performed before, and it showed. He was too nervous to really get the timing right for his show, and as a result it really ruined what could have been a great night. He was forcing the act, with things that he thought should be funny, but only if you have the comedic reaction of a 10 year old. That said the geeky premise was good, and coming from an engineering background he should have pushed the geekiness up a notch. I do wish him luck, because I believe if he can master his material, he would do better.
So, give me your stories. Funny ha ha or funny groan, it's all comedy under the bridge.
No comments:
Post a Comment