I have just had to walk someone who I originally thought was fairly tech savvy, installing iTunes on the computer for the iPad. Please note that I have never worked on a helldesk - and it was never one of my choices for a career.
I seem to have been landed with the defacto tech support in my office, which can be quite frustrating, because a. I have never been trained in it, and b. google is where I get my info - so you can get it there too. I am always worried that what I am doing is going to break things further, or have what I am doing not work at all. But all that work is usually done with me in control of the keyboard. Now doing it over the phone is a different beast altogether. You can't see what has gone wrong on the other end of the line, or know what the other person is seeing or clicking. Oh you can have a reasonable guess, but you never really know.
Oh. My. Goodness.
In order to make it work we have had to be on the phone for the better part of 45 minutes. All to set up a photo sync. Credit to the person working with me, it must be frustrating to try and explain to someone what you are seeing, in order for them to be able to help you, but thank goodness I have had experience in training people, and that gave me patience, because I can see I would be crap as a helldesk-er.
To those of you who work or have worked helldesk, I salute you, and all your patience.
No comments:
Post a Comment